MADISON, AL (WAFF) - BallCorps LLC, owner of the Southern League baseball franchise coming to Madison for the 2020 season, has announced 10 finalists in its Name the Team contest.
All names were nominated by residents of the Tennessee Valley. BallCorps states they were chosen on their uniqueness and how each name relates to the characteristics of Madison and surrounding communities. The names were also chosen to further BallCorps' goals of "providing affordable fun to families in the North Alabama and southern Tennessee."
Voting on the ten finalists will extend through noon Aug. 16. Then the five leading names will be open for voting. The team name will be announced at a public event on Sept. 5.
Here are the top 10 names with BallCorps' verbatim definitions:
- Army Ants - Sound off! The Army’s Redstone Arsenal serves as a center for missile and national defense programs and employs more than 40,000 members of our community.
- Comet Jockeys - “Rocket City” was put on the map for its cutting-edge aerospace development. Comet Jockeys is a celebration of our brave astronauts who explore outer space.
- GloWorms - Glow Worms are rare tiny bioluminescent creatures that call the caves at Dismals Canyon in North Alabama home, one of few places in North America!
- Lunartics - We are home to some of the wildest mad scientists facing today’s challenges in space and technology. You’d have to be a “Lunartic” to do that!
- Moon Possums - A scavenger at heart, these local critters are known for hanging around and having a good time with their family - just like going to ballgame!
- Puffy Head Bird Legs - No joke! It’s lingo coined by our astronauts for body fluid moving from feet to head in outer space due to the lack of gravity!
- Space Chimps - A tribute to Miss Baker, one of the first animals safely launched into space. Sheis buried on the grounds at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center.
- Space Sloths - A nod to NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, the Space Sloths is up there with classic Minor League Baseball names like IronPigs, Flying Squirrels, Chihuahuas and Jumbo Shrimp.
- ThunderSharks - Mix the powerful thunder of North Alabama’s storms with the ultra-strong, sleek determination of the shark and you end up with the personality of our community: willing to attack any problem. Visiting teams won’t mess with ThunderSharks.
- Trash Pandas (Slang for raccoon) - Our community is known for engineering, and no creature in our galaxy is as smart, creative, determined and ingenious a problem solver – dedicated to the challenge at hand – as our local raccoons!
BallCorps worked with Brandiose of San Diego, the Minor League Baseball industry's premiere branding partner, to select the names.
"The popularity of Minor League Baseball brands is best indicated by the amount of licensed merchandise purchased by fans. The top of the list in merchandise popularity includes several Brandiose-branded teams including the El Paso Chihuahuas, Hartford Yard Goats, Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp, Lehigh Valley IronPigs, New Orleans Baby Cakes, Reading Fightin Phils, Omaha Storm Chasers, and Frisco RoughRiders," BallCorps wrote in a news release.
Copyright 2018 WAFF. All rights reserved.