(WAFF) - A woman is asking Alabamians for help with a major project in Washington, D.C.
Janna Hoehn, of Maui, Hawaii, is involved with the Vietnam Memorial Fund, which is based in D.C. The organization is currently in the process of building a new museum, one that would be dedicated to Vietnam War veterans.
The museum will be placed in D.C., right between the Lincoln Memorial and the Vietnam Wall. Hoehn's organization, however, is looking to add something special to the upcoming museum.
The group is hoping to put a face to every name that is on the Vietnam Wall. They have been working towards this goal by collecting photos of the veterans from across the U.S.
Hoehn's involvement with the group began after she and her husband visited D.C and the Vietnam Wall. Soon after, she heard about the project. After sending in a photo, she was asked to assist with collecting photos from Maui.
From there, Hoehn has been helping collect photos from numerous states, including California, Louisiana, and Kentucky. Now, she is collecting from Alabama.
"We just want to put a face with every name that's etched on the Vietnam Wall. It's really important to really change the dynamic of the Vietnam Wall." said Hoehn. "It makes this a real person, not just a name on a wall."
Out of 58,315 photos that were initially needed, the project only needs 2,799 more. Out of those, 1,200 are needed from Alabama.
Below is a list of counties from which the project still needs photos and the veterans from each county.
- Morgan County - 4 photos needed out of 12
- Thomas Gurley - Somerville
- Jackey Knighten - Somerville
- David Turner - Lacey Springs
- Floyd Voyles - Somerville
- Limestone County - 7 photos needed out of 60
- James Hargrove - Limestone
- Michael Kuhse - Huntsville
- Junior Lott - Athens
- Tommy Nicholas - Decatur
- Sam Stewart - Huntsville
- Herman Troupe - Tanner
- George Walbridge
- Lauderdale County - 2 photos needed out of 27
- Charles Cox - Lexington
- Albert Jones - Rogersville
- Colbert County - 3 photos needed out of 22
- Thomas Dillard - Sheffield
- Earl Dillworth - Sheffield
- Clifford Walker - Sheffield
- DeKalb County - 1 photo needed out 10
- Louis Clanton - Collinsville
Those that wish to contribute to the project may contact Hoehn directly at email@example.com.
Hoehn says that the project has received many types of photos and that people can collect photos in multiple ways, including from obituaries, high school yearbooks, and family photos.
Copyright 2018 WAFF. All rights reserved.