S. Memorial Pkwy. construction in the home stretch
HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) - If you regularly travel south on Memorial Pkwy. in Huntsville, you're no stranger to those bright orange barrels.
The Alabama Department of Transportation says they are ahead of schedule in finishing the local roads project, but the weather hasn't been in their favor this year.
ALDOT anticipates that all major work will be complete this summer.
They tell us they expect to have the main line open sometime in the next few months, which is welcome news to local drivers who, after two years, are tired of navigating the sea of orange construction barrels on South Memorial Pkwy.
The slowed commute has been a constant source of frustration for drivers.
Kristin Parsons, a barista at Angel Islands Coffee, says the construction is a regular topic of conversation amongst customers.
"Especially during rush hour—like when I'm coming in 7-8—it's pretty bad. You might get stuck on the overpass and sit for 20 or 30 minutes," Parsons said of the daily headache.
“It's just inconsistent and people don't know when it’s going to happen, and they don't know how to plan.”
Angel Islands Coffee has even lost some of their business, but Parsons her regulars are faithful.
"The quicker they can get it done the better for all of the businesses and all the people cause that can be frustrating. … Yeah, we are ready for it to be done."
Obviously, they aren't alone.
- Work begins on S. Memorial Pkwy improvements
- South Parkway construction forces traffic to service roads
- South Parkway intersection to reopen in Huntsville
The good news, ALDOT tells us, is that we're in the home stretch. The final layer of asphalt still needs to be laid and guard rails and median barrier installed.
The bad news? There are road closures the next two weekends that could cause some southbound delays overnight.
Motorists are advised avoid the following areas and find alternate routes during impacted times if at all possible:
- From 7 p.m. Sunday, April 29, to 5 a.m. Monday, April 30, Byrd Spring Rd. at South Memorial Pkwy. will be closed to eastbound and westbound through traffic and all left-turning traffic. Byrd Spring Rd. will be treated as right in/right out only. The southbound service road will be reduced to one lane. Please expect some delays if traveling southbound. Northbound traffic should not be affected.
- From 7 p.m. Sunday, May 6, to 5 a.m. Monday, May 7, Logan Dr. and Lily Flagg Rd. at South Memorial Pkwy. will be closed to eastbound and westbound through traffic and all left-turning traffic. Logan Dr. and Lily Flagg Rd. will be treated as right in/right out only. Northbound and southbound traffic should not be affected.
Copyright 2018 WAFF. All rights reserved.