(WAFF) - The weather is beginning to warm up and the days are getting longer! We've been talking with Dawn Hendrix of 911 Physical Training the past few weeks about nutritional information to help you eat smarter. Which foods are best for your body and the ones you should avoid.
Last week, we spoke with Dawn about starting an exercise plan that works best for your lifestyle. We're breaking that down a step further this week to help you begin a simple running program.
Dawn says, "When you're going to start running. You know, it's a lot to take on. It can be overwhelming"
Here are several recommendations Dawn has to help you hit the pavement and stay motivated, no matter what kind of shape you're in.
Selecting proper gear.
- Invest in a good pair of shoes. You'll never go wrong there.
Watch your form.
- Start off heel to toe. Try to relax your hands.
- Keep your arms close to your body.
Start at your own speed.
- Begin with walking for about five minutes.
- Increase your pace from there.
Develop a pace that is comfortable to you.
- Don't try to compete with other runners.
- Work at your own pace.
"To be a runner you just have to run. You don't have to be out here to compete with anybody or enter a race. Its a great way to get into shape," said Hendrix.
Copyright 2017 WAFF. All rights reserved.