Advertisement

Experts warn of carbon monoxide poisoning

Updated: Dec. 14, 2016 at 12:34 AM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn

(WAFF) - You can't see or smell carbon monoxide, but it can kill you.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says carbon monoxide is linked to hundreds of deaths each year. Officials say this is the time of year they see it the most. In fact, seven people were sent to the hospital after a leak on Redstone Arsenal last week.

READ MORE: 7 taken to hospital after high levels of carbon monoxide on Redstone Arsenal

"You can pass out without even knowing it," said David Glassman with Madison Fire & Rescue. "You feel light-headed and you can feel nauseous to the point where you'll have problems breathing."

Officials say carbon monoxide is usually caused by gas heat or fireplaces.

Experts say the best way to keep your family safe is with a carbon monoxide detector to measure unsafe levels. They say it's best to have that detector and your heating appliances checked each year to make sure they're working before it's too late.

"The more that you breath in, the more it's going to get to you," Glassman said.

Copyright 2016 WAFF. All rights reserved.