Court documents reveal murdered Tuscumbia teen may have been setup

Published: Mar. 12, 2016 at 1:50 AM CST|Updated: Apr. 9, 2016 at 9:01 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Ki-Jana Ray Freeman was murdered in Tuscumbia after an incident that text messages allude was...
Ki-Jana Ray Freeman was murdered in Tuscumbia after an incident that text messages allude was over a stolen Xbox. (Source: Family)
Peter Gerold Capote (Source: Colbert County Sheriff's Department)
Peter Gerold Capote (Source: Colbert County Sheriff's Department)
Benjamin Owen Young (Source: Lawrence County TN. Sheriff's Department)
Benjamin Owen Young (Source: Lawrence County TN. Sheriff's Department)

Court documents are uncovering more details from the night a Shoals teen was shot and killed.

Thomas Charles Hubbard, 31, Peter Gerold Capote,22, and Benjamin Owen Young, 28,were arrested and charged with capital murder for the death of 19-year-old Ki-Jana Freeman on March 11.

More: 3 arrested, charged with capital murder for Tuscumbia shooting

The incident happened at Spring Creek Apartments in Tuscumbia on March 1.

Reports show Hubbard reported the stolen gaming system and a television missing on February 28. The report also stated that Hubbard believed Freeman may have been involved in the burglary.

More: 19-year-old shot dead; last text references Xbox sale

Police found Freeman slumped over the steering wheel of a blue Ford Mustang with gunshot wounds in his body and left arm. He was later taken to Helen Keller Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

A 17-year-old with Freeman was later flown to Huntsville Hospital in critical condition with multiple gunshot wounds.

Police recovered 15 shell casings in the parking lot behind Freeman's vehicle and 12 bullet holes were found on the drivers side of the vehicle. Inside the vehicle, investigators discovered a cell phone and a black pistol in the driver's seat.

Video taken from the night of the murder showed Freeman's vehicle and two people get out of a white Dodge Ram pickup truck, shoot guns and then flee the scene.

One witness told police he saw Freeman enter the parking lot of the apartments right before he saw two white males wearing mask and heard gun shots.

A woman, who said she was Freeman's girlfriend, told Tuscumbia police on Wednesday she had been texting Freeman prior to the murder. She said the last text she received from him at 10:58 p.m. stated he was "getting his cash right now."

She also told police Freeman had taken the 17-year-old in case something happened.

Police reported receiving a tip that the white pickup truck seen in the video had been abandoned since midnight on March 2. They also realized the truck had been stolen.

The defendants stated various plans for the murder of Freeman.

One of the defendants explained the plan Hubbard devised to set up Freeman and his friend, which included luring Freeman to a location with the purpose of killing him. However, the defendant said Hubbard changed his plan. The defendant also stated that he contacted Freeman for a meeting, but could not go through with anything.

On March 4, investigators watched Hubbard and Capote's house on Midland Avenue in Muscle Shoals until all three suspects were present. When Young left the house in a silver Ford Focus, police followed him as he led multiple units on a chase from Muscle Shoals to Lawrence County, Tennessee.

He eventually wrecked and was booked at the Lawrence Co. Sheriff's office.

Hubbard and Capote were also arrested in Muscle Shoals after leaving the house.

More: Update: Murder suspect extradited to Colbert Co. 

Young was extradited and taken back to Colbert County.

Copyright 2016 WAFF. All rights reserved.