HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) - Huntsville fire officials released the cause of a fire at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center that happened on Wednesday night.
According to Captain Frank McKenzie the cause of the fire has been determined to be accidental. A heating appliance was left in close proximity to combustible materials which ignited and burned. The sprinkler system and fire alarm activated and occupants responded and evacuated the building.
On Wednesday around 8:30 p.m., Huntsville Fire & Rescue responded to a fire at the U.S. Space and Rocket Center. When crews arrived they observed light smoke in the building. Firefighters entered the building and found two sprinkler heads had activated in the maintenance area where a fire was active. Fire crews pulled a hose line into the building to finish extinguishing the fire.
The fire was located behind a partition wall but burned a small hole through to the activity area. Crews were able to keep the fire contained to the maintenance area. Exhaust fans were set-up to remove smoke from the building.
The investigation of the fire at the Space and Rocket Center had fire investigation staff focusing on a work area located in the southeast corner of the building. The heaviest fire damage was confined to a work area room with a small amount of fire and heat damage noted to a tool staging area.
Copyright 2015 WAFF. All rights reserved.