MADISON COUNTY, AL (WAFF) - Fire crews responded to the scene of a large house fire on Tuesday in McMullen Cove in south Madison County. Huntsville fire crews believe the blaze was sparked by lightning.
Flames were shooting through the roof as firefighters worked to extinguish the blaze. The blaze burned through most of the roof and several walls collapsed.
Toni Wessells lives nearby and had no doubt lightning caused the fire.
"I was on my back porch doing some work and [the lightning bolt] just shook me. I screamed," said Wessells. "I didn't know where it was coming from because of the echoes."
The homeowner was with her two daughters in the house when she told firefighters she heard a loud pop. That's when the fire broke out. The three were able to escape safely.
Erica Lamb's son was inside a nearby house. She came running over when she realized what was going on.
"It was fast and quick. It went really quick. It was just a lesson to teach my kids because they've never seen a fire to get out. Just get out," said Lamb.