HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) - An apartment fire Monday morning burned more than a dozen people out of their homes.
The fire, which broke out around 4 a.m. Monday, impacted one eight-unit building at the Summer Tree Apartments in Huntsville.
Only two of the eight units caught fire, but others were damaged by smoke and water.
Firefighters spent most of the morning working in rapidly oppressive heat from the summer sun to put out the flames and monitor for hot-spots.
With 18 days and counting of 90-degree temperatures, firefighters must brave extreme heat and cold from the elements in order to protect and save lives.
Huntsville Fire & Rescue said they swapped fresh crews during the fire at Summer Tree. District Chief Mike Keel said that in working with fire, they regularly put in fresh hands when they can't safely function in the heat.
"Some of us will use wet towels, soaked; helps to evaporate and cool you off," explained Keel. "They'll come out and take off their turnout gear and find a shady spot, get some liquid back in them and refresh."
Red Cross disaster relief teams also responded and helped the 13 people displaced with finding alternate accommodations, and provides water and snacks for the firefighters.
Click here for more information on how you can help the Red Cross help others.
No injuries were reported. The fire remains under investigation.
Copyright 2015 WAFF. All rights reserved.