HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) - An on-stage fire disrupted a live show at the Von Braun Center Sunday afternoon.
It happened during a matinee performance of "Cirque Dreams Holidaze" in the Mark C. Smith Concert Hall.
Attendees said the fire started on a stage curtain during a tightrope-walking act near the end of the program.
"I smelled smoke, then... I looked to my right, and the curtain caught on fire," said young audience member Mackenzie Brockway.
The performance hall was evacuated while crews quickly put out the flames. Broadway Theatre League officials said there were no injuries.
"It was very quickly put out by the stagehands that were there," said BTL Executive Director Andrew Willmon, "but the concert hall did fill with smoke. The audience was evacuated quickly and efficiently from the Von Braun Center."
Audience member Diana Kelley told us attendees were being allowed back in for seats to the scheduled Sunday night performance of the show.
The Broadway Theatre League issued this statement Sunday evening:
VBC officials reportedly told audience members who could not attend the later show that alternative arrangements would be made to "make it right."
Remember, when breaking news happens, we break it first online, by email, and by text. If you want to receive our breaking news alerts by text, pull out your phone right now and text NEWS to 44848. Message and data rates may apply. You can text STOP at any time to cancel your subscription, text HELP for more information, or call 877-571-0774 for support.