ETOWAH COUNTY, AL (WAFF) - The Etowah County Sheriff's Office will be providing treat bags to area children this Halloween - along with some safety tips.
You are invited to drop by the Sheriff's Office on Forrest Avenue in Gadsden during regular business hours all week long to pick up a free trick-or-treat bag.
The sheriff also advises the following tips for a safely spooky Halloween:
- Plan a route in advance and only go to houses that you know.
- Never go alone - take an adult or an older, responsible youth as a sidekick.
- Walk on sidewalks, not the street.
- Stay in well-lit areas. Have a flashlight handy.
- Pin a slip of paper with the name of the trick-or-treater and his/her address and telephone number inside clothing.
- Wear light-colored costumes or use reflective tape.
- Never talk to strangers.
Additionally, parents are advised to check to see if a registered sex offender lives in a neighborhood you plan to visit. You should also check the treats before the kiddoes dive in - when in doubt, throw it out.
Drivers are asked to pay special attention for children who may forget the rules. Use caution and obey all posted traffic signs, especially in neighborhoods.
Homeowners - have a well-lit home inside and out to prevent vandalism and injuries. Remove all lawn obstacles and don't use candles in ornaments that could set a fire.