Boy burned at Hazel Green home flown to Cincinnati hospital

Justin Moore
Justin Moore

A 5-year-old boy who accidentally set himself on fire on Monday was flown out-of-state for further treatment.

Fire officials said Justin Moore suffered burns to 70-80 percent of his body after coming into contact with a gas can that had been set on fire. Another child told him to 'stop, drop and roll' when they saw the fire.

Justin's father, Gregory, said his young boy is a fighter, but he certainly has a long road ahead of him. His burns were actually too severe for UAB to handle, so he was flown to a hospital in Cincinnati. There was only enough room for one parent to travel with Justin to Ohio, so his father came back to North Alabama.

Gregory said Justin didn't have enough unburned skin left on his body for UAB to use for skin grafts, so they sent him to Shriners Hospital in Cincinnati. That hospital has a burn unit that specializes in pediatric burns. At last check, Justin remains in critical condition.

One man who helped put the fire out Monday afternoon said he can't get the images from that day out of his head.

"It was horrifying," said Ed Shayharris. "I've got a 5-year-old son myself and that's all you can think about. I don't ever want to see it again. It was one of the worst things I've ever seen in my life."

Justin Moore had just started kindergarten. Gregory said his favorite thing to do is wrestle with his older brother. Gregory said he thought he had the gas container out of reach, but somehow Justin got hold of it - along with some matches - and set it on fire. The container exploded and covered the boy's body in flames.

He said every portion of Justin's body from the knees up suffered burns, ranging from second to third-degree.

"We'll wait for Justin to come back. And he will - I know he'll be here. I have faith," said Gregory.

The Madison County Sheriff's Office and Fire Marshal are still investigating the incident.

Copyright 2014 WAFF. All rights reserved.