Advertisement

1 dead, 1 taken to the hospital from carbon monoxide poisoning

Published: Nov. 22, 2013 at 5:47 PM CST|Updated: Nov. 22, 2013 at 10:56 PM CST
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Authorities are treating the case as a death investigation.
Authorities are treating the case as a death investigation.

NEW MARKET, AL (WAFF) - One man is dead and another hospitalized after a generator running indoors filled a New Market home with carbon monoxide.

The Madison County Coroner said 66-year-old David Simpson died from carbon monoxide poisoning Friday. Rescue crews transported a second man from the home off Church Street to the hospital.

Witnesses said the victim's friend went to check on the men and spotted the two laying in front of the door. Emergency crews said they had to back off initially because the carbon monoxide fumes were so strong.

"30 yards away, I could smell it. It was kind of funny-looking. It burnt my eyes," said witness Wayne Bridgs.

Authorities confirmed reports from neighbors who said Simpson was running a generator inside the house.

Copyright 2013 WAFF. All rights reserved.