Fire contained at Somerville recycling center

Published: Jul. 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM CDT|Updated: Aug. 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
The fire started around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday.
The fire started around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday.

MORGAN COUNTY, AL (WAFF) - A fire at a Morgan County recycling business kept firefighters working through the morning Tuesday. It started around 9:30 a.m. at Brown's Recycling on Gravel Ridge Road in Somerville.

Cotaco volunteer firefighters managed to get water on the fire in time to keep the flames from spreading.

Authorities said the fire started in a machine that collects dust that has been filtered out of the air. A paper filter in the dust collector caught fire. The firefighters got the flames out quickly, then doused the hot spots.

Cecil Brown, one of the owners of Brown's Recycling, said the fire interrupted the business for the day, but because of the quick action by the firefighters they should be fully back in business Wednesday.

Brown added that they've been operating the business there since 1979 and this is the first time they've had a fire.

Copyright 2013 WAFF. All rights reserved.