1 dead, 2 injured after suspected carbon monoxide poisoning

Published: Apr. 15, 2013 at 4:38 PM CDT|Updated: May. 13, 2013 at 4:38 PM CDT
Email This Link
Share on Pinterest
Share on LinkedIn
Carbon monoxide detector
Carbon monoxide detector

DEKALB COUNTY, AL (WAFF) - Authorities in DeKalb County are investigating the death of one man and the injury of two others who they believe were exposed to carbon monoxide.

The DeKalb County Sheriff's Office, Rainsville Police Officers, and DeKalb Ambulance Service responded to a 911 call from a home on County Road 1961 around 4 a.m. on Saturday, April 13.

Responders found two men unconscious on the front porch and another man unresponsive in the home.

DeKalb County Coroner Tom Wilson pronounced Charles Gerald Downer, 51 of Rainsville, dead at the scene. Authorities airlifted the other two men, 24-year-old Thomas Michael Daniel of Woodville and 25-year-old Alfred Arland Crosby of Rainsville, to Erlanger Hospital in Chattanooga where they were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning.

Authorities said the home was being remodeled and had no power, so a generator was being used under the home.

A relative discovered the men before calling 911.

Copyright 2013 WAFF. All rights reserved.