HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) - Huntsville police conducted a citywide prostitution raid on Wednesday, resulting in the arrest of 17 alleged solicitors.
Huntsville police officials told WAFF 48 News that all the arrests were made off the streets of downtown Huntsville and did not target specific businesses.
According to a press release from the Huntsville Police Department, the following women were arrested on charges of soliciting prostitution:
- Mandie Darlene Anderson, 24, of Huntsville
- Dawn Pruitt Collins, 49, of Huntsville
- Tanisha Kachelle Johnson, 29, of Huntsville
- Stephanie Ineke Salters Rahim, 24, of Huntsville
- Tanisha Wrenet Page, 34, of Huntsville
- Rachel York Morehouse, 23, of Huntsville
- Amber Sue Pearson, 24, of Huntsville
- Vickie Marie Brown, 35, of Huntsville
- Crystal Renee Kemper, 33, of Huntsville
- Kymberly Ellis Clinard, 38, of Huntsville
- Teresa Gail Stevenson, 35, of Huntsville
- Mary Shanna Williams, 30, of Huntsville
- Nichole Ross Barnett, 26, of Huntsville
- Chasity Michelle Skipworth, 35, of Huntsville
- Latasha Lashun James, 33, of Huntsville
- Bethani Amber Hosch, 20, of Hazel Green
- Sue Ann Kinney Branch, 45, of Huntsville
"We received complaints from citizens that they had been seeing more and more solicitation on the streets, stopping cars, like that," said Huntsville Police Sgt. Mark Roberts.
Cops went undercover, targeting the entire city. Roberts says they were looking for women willing to be paid for their services.
"Usually the girl makes some kind of gesture telling us they are there for the purposes of soliciting," Roberts said. "We stop, of course, there is some type of transaction made for money and a sexual act. At that time we arrest the girl."
Most of the arrests made were off Drake Avenue, Governor's Drive and at a hotel on U.S. Highway 72. All 17 were booked into jail with a misdemeanor charge of soliciting prostitution on their record.
Sgt. Roberts said prostitution is a growing problem in and around the city.
"We have different types of prostitues in town," Roberts said. "Some that are on the street, some that are online, we even have some in escort services. Last night we were looking for the girls on the streets."