MADISON, AL (WAFF) - It’s already an accomplishment for one school to have a soccer team in the state semifinals. Having two is the icing on that potential state championship cake.
The Falcons of JPII’s boys and girls teams found a way to the Final Four this week.
“We’ve put a lot of effort into this season,” Falcons player Sophia Herman said this week. “There’s been a lot of growth especially with the newer players. And to see how far we’ve come since February it’s been awesome.”
The boys team has never reached state, and considering the road to get to this point, it’s made all the peaks and valleys of the season worth it.
“This has been everything for us.” Falcons player Michael Weston said. “The first year we tried getting into the playoffs, kinda rough, but we kept with it, and in this fourth year we made it all the way to the Final Four.”
The JPII girls will play Southside-Gadsden at 3:30 p.m. at John Hunt Park, followed by the JPII boys playing Springville at 5:30 p.m.
State soccer championships schedule
John Hunt Park, Huntsville
- 11:30 a.m. - Westminster Christian vs. Altmont (girls)
- 1:30 p.m. - Collinsville vs. Altamont (boys)
- 3:30 p.m. - St John Paul vs. Southside-Gadsden (girls)
- 5:30 p.m. - St John Paul vs. Springville (boys)
- 9 a.m. - Decatur vs. Homewood (girls)
- 11 a.m. - Fort Payne vs. Homewood (boys)
- 1 p.m. - James Clemens vs. Vestavia Hills (girls)
- 3 p.m. - Florence vs. Hoover (boys)
- 5 p.m. - Class 1A-3A boys championship, 4A-5A girls championship
- 7 p.m. - 1A-3A girls championship, 4A-5A boys championship
- 10 a.m. - 6A girls championship, 7A boys championship
- Noon - 6A boys championship, 7A girls championship