SANTA CLARA, CA (WAFF) - Alabama had no answer for Clemson’s offensive firepower on Monday night. The Tigers scored early, often and never looked back in the team’s 44-16 route of the defending national champions.
This game marks the biggest loss for the Crimson Tide under Nick Saban’s era at Alabama. Saban has only lost four games in the past four years, and Clemson’s Head Coach Dabo Swinney is the only person to beat him twice in that span.
Alabama suffered a series of turnovers, penalties, blown coverages, special-teams failures, and not executing in the red zone on Monday night. They played uncharacteristically against the Clemson Tigers and the players couldn’t even fathom what they witnessed on the field.
“We would have liked to end the year better," said running back Damien Harris. “We would have like to go out on a better note but offensively defensively we didn’t play the way we were supposed to. It’s really no one’s fault. But at the same time it’s everybody’s fault. We didn’t play the best we could. We didn’t give ourselves a chance to win.”
“It was on us that we were doing some uncharacteristic like things that was on us," said center Ross Pierschbacher. "Big games like this they’re gonna take advantage. So if we made mistakes like that they’re going to capitalize on us. One game doesn’t define us. One game doesn’t define the season. We move on forward. The game of football is a humbling experience and we’re going to keep on moving forward.“
There’s no doubt this loss will weigh heavy on the Tide next season. They’ll be eager to come out even stronger and prove to the college football world that this boxing match isn’t over. Plus coming out of the early signing period with the #1 recruiting class in the nation, we know Alabama will be back to dominate in 2019.
- No points scored in the 4th quarter. Clemson wins 44-16.
- 0:21 - Clemson touchdown to Justyn Ross. Extra point is good. 44-16 Clemson.
- 8:26 - Clemson touchdown pass to Justyn Ross. Extra point is no good. Clemson is up 37-16.
- 9:53 - Clemson stops Alabama fake field goal attempt. Score remains 31-16 Clemson.
- 0:50 - Clemson FG is good. Tigers have the 31-16 lead.
- 4:39 - Clemson shovel pass completed for touchdown. Extra point is good. Tigers up 28-16.
- 11:38 - Clemson’s Etienne punches in ball for touchdown. Extra point is good. Tigers take 21-16 lead.
- 14:27 - Bulovas field goal is good. Alabama 16-14.
- 6:23 - Tua pass to Hale Hentges completed for touchdown. Extra point is missed. 14-13 Clemson.
- 10:35 - Clemson rushes for touchdown... Clemson takes 14-7 lead
- 12:05 - Tua pass to Jeudy for touchdown... Tied at 7-7
- 13:20 - Tua pass intercepted for a touchdown by Clemson’s A.J. Terrell... 7-0 Clemson