UAH Plays Tough, But Falls to Yale, 3-2

(HUNTSVILLE) - Despite playing one of their best games of the season, the UAH Chargers dropped a tough 3-2 decision to the Ivy League, Friday night at the Von Braun Center, when Yale's Jeff Anderson unlocked a 2-2 tie in the final minute of the 2nd period.

The Chargers, wearing black and blue jerseys as part of a team fund raiser, came back from a 2-0 deficit, outshot the Bulldogs, 32-30, and held the Elis scoreless in the final period, but came up empty on four power play opportunities.

Just when it looked like both teams would go into the lockers at the 2nd intermission scoreless, Yale took the lead, 3-2, with just 28 seconds remaining when Anderson lifted the puck over goaltender Blake MacNicol's shoulder.

The Chargers (2-13) outshot Yale (8-6) in the 3rd period with 13 shots-on-goal and MacNicol stuffed 8 shots on the net, but UAH could not breach the Bulldogs' defense, despite a final power play oppportunity following a hooking penalty on Michael Karwoski at 12:39.

After several solid scoring chances by the Chargers, the Bulldogs took an early 1-0 lead at 4:29 of the 1st period when Karwoski took the puck the length of the ice on a 2-on-1 and slipped a shot past MacNicol , who made the initial save before the puck trickled into the net.

The Yale power play made it a 2-0 lead early in the 2nd as Sean Backman found Matthew Thomey on the door step and Thomey put it past MacNicol at 2:22.

But the Chargers quickly responded.

Joe Federoff found Scott Kalinchuk as he crossed the blue line just minutes later at 4:01 and slapped a shot in just outside the crease to end the shutout bid.

The Chargers tied it at 10:55 when Chris Fairbanks ripped off a wrist shot for his first collegiate goal. MacNicol stopped 27 of 30 shots for the Chargers, while Billy Blase stopped 30 of 32 for Yale.

Both teams battle again, Saturday night at 7 pm as UAH welcomes home the 1998 NCAA Division II National Championship team with an in-game ceremony and reception following the contest.