Madison fire station might be bulldozed - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Madison fire station might be bulldozed

A Madison fire station might soon have been bulldozed.

Station number 2 on Hughes Road was tested last week for toxic mold and the findings are startling.

WAFF 48's Robyn McGlohn has more on this story.

Peel back the wallpaper and you'll find this, "Oh yeah!"

Tuesday night Madison City Council discussed a potentially dangerous situation.

"The study says it's mold," says Madison Fire Chief Ralph Cobb.

At Madison Fire and Rescue station number two, mold is found pretty much everywhere, both under the wallpaper and under the house.

It's even growing rapidly up the outside walls. 

"Anywhere it's shaded and it can grow, pretty much the span of the building," says a firefighter.

Station number 2 was built in the 1920's. It was expanded in the 60's and 80's. That's several decades the mold has had to grow.

A test last week confirmed their fear.

"We've had an environmental company come out and do a survey of the building, and they say that's mold the toxic type that can cause respiratory problems and more serious problems," says Chief Cobb.

Problems that worry Madison City Councilwoman Cynthia Mccollum.

"These firefighters breathe in smoke almost every day -- they shouldn't be breathing in toxic mold at the station house," says Mccollum. 

Thursday, the city council will vote on whether build a new station or renovate the old.

McCollum and Cobb both want a new structure.

In the meantime, a double wide will have to do.

The City Council meets tomorrow morning to discuss possibly housing the firefighters in a trailer home until a new station is built or the old station is renovated.

WAFF 48 will keep you posted on the outcome.

Powered by Frankly