A fireworks accident has killed a 7-year old local child.
Paxon Thomas Jordan, 7, of Athens died Thursday night as a result of a fireworks injury.
Paxon was in his back yard with his father, Shannon Jordan, and a 13 year old neighbor starting to shoot fireworks.
The first round was a mortar type round. It was placed on a table in the launch tube.
Shannon Jordan lit the fuse and walked to where Paxon was standing approximately 30 feet away.
As the round was about to launch, the family dog brushed against the table and knocked the round over.
The round struck Paxon in the chest above his heart.
The round was lit at approximately 8:58 p.m. Thursday. Paxon fell to the ground and it appears the round exploded approximately 3 feet from where Paxon fell.
Paxon was transported to Athens Limestone Hospital's emergency room by his mother Beth Jordan while his father performed CPR.
Paxon was pronounced dead at approximately 9:50 p.m. of massive chest trauma and internal bleeding.
Paxon turned 7 years old on July 1st and was a student at Cowart Elementary School.