AP source: Cowboys make Zack Martin NFL's highest-paid guard - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

AP source: Cowboys make Zack Martin NFL's highest-paid guard

(Smiley N. Pool/The Dallas Morning News via AP). Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott (4) throws a pass behind offensive guard Zack Martin (70) and center Travis Frederick (72)  during NFL football minicamp Wednesday, June 13, 2018, in Frisco, Texas. (Smiley N. Pool/The Dallas Morning News via AP). Dallas Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott (4) throws a pass behind offensive guard Zack Martin (70) and center Travis Frederick (72) during NFL football minicamp Wednesday, June 13, 2018, in Frisco, Texas.

By SCHUYLER DIXON
AP Pro Football Writer

FRISCO, Texas (AP) - The deal making Zack Martin of the Dallas Cowboys the highest-paid guard in the NFL is finally done.

The Cowboys and Martin agreed to terms on an $84 million, six-year contract extension that should keep the two-time All-Pro in Dallas through at least 2024, a person with direct knowledge of the deal said Wednesday.

The contract includes $40 million guaranteed money, the person told The Associated Press on condition of anonymity because the deal hasn't been announced.

The sides got close enough to an agreement over the weekend that Martin went through the first two days of mandatory minicamp after missing all nine voluntary offseason practices as negotiations that got serious last year kept dragging.

The Cowboys intended all along to give Martin the biggest contract at his position. The delay pushed the price tag up after Jacksonville's Andrew Norwell signed a $66.5 million, five-year contract in March.

The $14 million average on Martin's deal surpasses Norwell's $13.3 million average.

Martin, the 16th overall pick in 2014, was an All-Pro as a rookie when DeMarco Murray led the NFL in rushing for the NFC East champions. He repeated the feat two years later when rookie Ezekiel Elliott was the league rushing leader for another division champion.

The 27-year-old Martin, who has started all 67 games of his career including the playoffs at right guard, has made the Pro Bowl in each of his four seasons.

Even as negotiations lagged, the former Notre Dame standout said he was never interested in testing free agency. He will make $9.3 million in the final year of his rookie contract.

"I want to be here in Dallas," Martin said Tuesday, when the deal was close but not complete. "I've said that from the beginning. I'll stand tall that I want to be in Dallas and I never wanted to go anywhere else."

Martin addressed a throng of reporters from his relocated locker at the Cowboys' practice facility. He has the spot of former Dallas tight end Jason Witten, who retired after 15 seasons to go into broadcasting.

"He certainly represents everything, the things that Witten represented over the course of 15 years," coach Jason Garrett said. "Those are the kind of guys you want on your team. Those are the kind of guys you want as the face of your program. Come to work early. Stay late."

With Martin's deal in place, the Cowboys have their top three linemen - all first-round picks with multiple Pro Bowls - locked up at least through 2023. That's the final year of the current deals for left tackle Tyron Smith and center Travis Frederick.

"We've got a ton of great leaders on this team, a ton of guys that are going to be here for a long time," Martin said. "And I know I'm one of those guys and one of those leaders."

___

More AP NFL: http://pro32.ap.org and http://twitter.com/AP_NFL

Copyright 2018 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

  • NationalMore>>

  • Trump postpones Thursday's annual congressional picnic

    Trump postpones Thursday's annual congressional picnic

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 12:22 PM EDT2018-06-20 16:22:02 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 1:07 PM EDT2018-06-20 17:07:37 GMT
    President Donald Trump says he's postponing this week's picnic for members of Congress, saying the timing "doesn't feel right.".More >>
    President Donald Trump says he's postponing this week's picnic for members of Congress, saying the timing "doesn't feel right.".More >>
  • Fans grieve as detectives search for XXXTentacion's killers

    Fans grieve as detectives search for XXXTentacion's killers

    Tuesday, June 19 2018 11:31 PM EDT2018-06-20 03:31:32 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 1:07 PM EDT2018-06-20 17:07:36 GMT
    (AP Photo/Terry Spencer). Fans and mourners of rap singer XXXTentacion pause by a memorial, Tuesday, June 19, 2018, outside Riva Motorsports in Deerfield Beach, Fla., where the troubled rapper-singer was killed the day before. The 20-year-old rising st...(AP Photo/Terry Spencer). Fans and mourners of rap singer XXXTentacion pause by a memorial, Tuesday, June 19, 2018, outside Riva Motorsports in Deerfield Beach, Fla., where the troubled rapper-singer was killed the day before. The 20-year-old rising st...
    A stream of mourners has been leaving mementos at the spot where rapper XXXTentacion was killed as he left a Florida motorcycle dealership.More >>
    A stream of mourners has been leaving mementos at the spot where rapper XXXTentacion was killed as he left a Florida motorcycle dealership.More >>
  • Chicago teen to be sentenced in 2014 Facebook feud slaying

    Chicago teen to be sentenced in 2014 Facebook feud slaying

    Wednesday, June 20 2018 12:51 AM EDT2018-06-20 04:51:06 GMT
    Wednesday, June 20 2018 1:07 PM EDT2018-06-20 17:07:25 GMT
    (Jessica Koscielniak/Chicago Sun-Times via AP). In this May 5, 2014 photo, the casket of Endia Martin is carried by pallbearers following funeral services for 14-year-old at St. Andrew Temple Baptist Church in Chicago. Martin was killed by another 14-y...(Jessica Koscielniak/Chicago Sun-Times via AP). In this May 5, 2014 photo, the casket of Endia Martin is carried by pallbearers following funeral services for 14-year-old at St. Andrew Temple Baptist Church in Chicago. Martin was killed by another 14-y...
    Chicago teenager set to be sentenced for killing another girl during a 2014 street fight that started as a Facebook feud over a boy.More >>
    Chicago teenager set to be sentenced for killing another girl during a 2014 street fight that started as a Facebook feud over a boy.More >>
Powered by Frankly