Boaz man seriously injured in house fire now suing landlord - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Boaz man seriously injured in house fire now suing landlord

(Source: WAFF) (Source: WAFF)
BOAZ, AL (WAFF) -

A Boaz man fighting for his life after a house fire is now suing his landlord.

The suit was filed Tuesday, just two days after the fire.

The lawsuit contends that the apartment complex had electrical problems and that the owners knew it.

Tony Rhoades and his wife, Sherry, are now suing James and Lawanda Smith over the New Year's Eve fire in which he was seriously injured. The suit claims there were electrical problems, a failure to test and maintain smoke detectors, and no safe alternate exit as Rhoades ran through the fire to get out of the burning building.

But Smith disputes the claims. He says Rhoades was hired to do work for him at the apartments and it was Rhoades who was paid to install 10 smoke detectors inside Smith's apartments just a few months ago.

Smith also says had there been electrical problems they would have been repaired that day.

Smith also believes the fire came from a Christmas tree he says should not have been in the home.

Smith calls this a sad situation but says if Rhoades had climbed out onto porch roof just below his bedroom window instead of running down a hall into a burning living room, he wouldn't have been injured.

Rhoades remains at UAB Hospital in critical condition.

Fire Chief Jeff Beck said the cause of the fire appears to be from an overloaded circuit caused by the use of too many extension cords.

Copyright 2018 WAFF. All rights reserved.

Report an Error | Submit a Tip to WAFF 48

  • NewsMore>>

  • No one hurt in Toney storage unit fire

    No one hurt in Toney storage unit fire

    Friday, January 19 2018 5:36 PM EST2018-01-19 22:36:25 GMT
    Smoke from the storage facility fire on Highway 53 was visible for 10 milesSmoke from the storage facility fire on Highway 53 was visible for 10 miles

    A storage unit in Toney caught fire just before noon Friday.

    More >>

    A storage unit in Toney caught fire just before noon Friday.

    More >>
  • Eric: Warmer this weekend; widespread rain Monday

    Eric: Warmer this weekend; widespread rain Monday

    Friday, January 19 2018 5:28 PM EST2018-01-19 22:28:36 GMT

    Despite the chilly and cloudy start, Saturday will be a very nice afternoon by January standards with highs back above average in the middle 50s.

    More >>

    Despite the chilly and cloudy start, Saturday will be a very nice afternoon by January standards with highs back above average in the middle 50s.

    More >>
  • Auburn names next athletics director

    Auburn names next athletics director

    Friday, January 19 2018 12:54 PM EST2018-01-19 17:54:44 GMT
    (Source: Auburn University)(Source: Auburn University)

    Auburn University welcomed its next athletics director to campus on Friday.

    More >>

    Auburn University welcomed its next athletics director to campus on Friday.

    More >>
Powered by Frankly