Court documents: Hoverboard blamed for house fire - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Court documents: Hoverboard blamed for house fire

A massive house fire in November is thought to have been caused by charging hoverboards, according to a court filing. (Source: WAFF Staff) A massive house fire in November is thought to have been caused by charging hoverboards, according to a court filing. (Source: WAFF Staff)
MADISON COUNTY, AL (WAFF) -

A charging hoverboard sparked a massive fire at a Meridianville home, according to a lawsuit filed Tuesday in Madison County.

Contractors working nearby saved a family of five from the Spencer Lakes Drive fire that took place Nov. 23. Four area fire departments responded to the blaze.

MORE: Family of 5 saved from house fire | Hot holiday trend raising safety concerns

According to the lawsuit, the homeowner bought the hoverboards one week before the fire. The family tried to return them, saying they wouldn't charge.

The filing says the company refused to refund or exchange the devices, and seven days later, they caught fire in the family garage.

Thanks to the quick action of the contractors, no one was hurt in the fire.

The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission is now investigating as many as 12 hoverboard fires. We do not know if the Meridianville fire is included in that tally.

Consumer Reports advises families who have purchased these devices to monitor them carefully while recharging. They also advise that the new personal transport fad is not highly regulated.

Click here for more from Consumer Reports.

Copyright 2015 WAFF. All rights reserved.

Report an Error | Submit a Tip to WAFF 48

Powered by Frankly