WATCH WAFF: Accused murderer expected to be in Jackson County court; Police pursuit ends in wreck, sends 3 to hospital

WATCH WAFF: Accused murderer expected to be in Jackson County court; Police pursuit ends in wreck, sends 3 to hospital

(WAFF) - Barry Whitton to make appearance in Jackson Co. court

Accused murderer Barry Whitton is expected to return to the Jackson County courthouse, despite threats that he might try to harm the judge. Final jurors are expected to be selected and opening statements will begin Monday morning. Whitton is charged with the 1997 murder of his first wife, Michelle Whitton. Her body was discovered in a shallow grave in Jackson County six weeks after she was reported missing. Last week, an appeal was denied by the state after Whitton's attorneys fought to have the judge removed in the case and the trial delayed following the threats Whitton previously made.

Police chase ends with wreck near A&M

Huntsville police responding to a report of a stolen car Sunday night deployed spike strips near the Alabama A&M campus. A call came in Sunday night about a vehicle stolen from the McDonald's on Highway 72 and Shields Road. Another call indicated a woman had been dragged by the vehicle. According to investigators, when the suspect saw police, the suspect fled the scene. Spike strips were deployed on Chase Road near Meridian Street. The vehicle passed over the spikes, then crashed head-on into another vehicle. The suspect and the driver of the other vehicle were taken to Huntsville Hospital, as was the woman who had been dragged by the suspect's vehicle.

Body recovered in Cummings Creek

The Franklin County Sheriff confirmed that a body found in Cummings Creek Sunday afternoon is that of a man whose canoe capsized earlier in the day. The man was canoeing early Sunday morning at Cummings Creek when his canoe capsized. Officials and family members confirmed his identity as 49-year-old Teddy Allan McAlister of Phil Campbell. Crews with state marine police and Franklin County Technical Response had been out since 9 a.m. searching the waters and nearby areas for any sign of the man. His body was recovered around 3 p.m. Sunday, some 12 hours after he fell into the water.

We hope you'll join Margo Gray, Trent Butler and David Ernst for WAFF 48 News this morning. Remember, you can always watch online at or by tapping "Watch Newscasts" on your WAFF News mobile app.