Don't let your grill-out become a burnout - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Don't let your grill-out become a burnout

Propane grills make cookouts nice and convenient - but be sure to use them safely. (Source: WAFF) Propane grills make cookouts nice and convenient - but be sure to use them safely. (Source: WAFF)
FALKVILLE, AL (WAFF) -

Before you light up that grill for a great family dinner, there are things you need to know when it comes to propane grill safety. 

Daniel Lockhart is a firefighter with the Falkville Fire and Rescue Department. 

"You don't want to use accelerants in a grill because it will make it flash," Lockhart said. "You always want to use it outside. You don't want to put it inside a garage where it can flame up and catch anything on fire." 

Lockhart says more than 17,000 people go to the emergency room each year because of a grilling accident. He also says 17 percent of all house fires are started by grills. 

"Once you get done grilling, you want to put your hot ashes inside a metal container. Never put it in a garbage can, because it will catch on fire," he warned. 

He adds you should make certain there is a 3-foot safe zone around the grill. 

"If you leave a grill inside too long and leave the propane on, there's a huge possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning. So if you do store a grill inside, make sure all gasses are off and keep a door open," he said. 

Just about any evening in any community, you can step outside your door and smell a wonderful smell coming from a neighbor's grill. 

But fire officials say it's most important to keep safety first. 

Among the most important of all tips: never leave the grill unattended.

For more on how to keep your cookout safe no matter what type of grill, head to this web page.

Copyright 2015 WAFF. All rights reserved.

Report a typo

Powered by Frankly