HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) - When winter weather approaches, it's important to prepare hearth and home for what may come.
Click here for more winter weather preparedness tips.
In addition to winterizing your car, everyone should put together a winter survival kit in their vehicle in the event you become stranded in deteriorating conditions.
The following is a list of items you should have in the winter survival kit:
- Windshield scraper
- Small broom/dustpan
- Battery-powered radio
- Snack foods (energy bars, raisins, etc.)
- Matches and small candles
- Extra layers of clothing, including sweaters and hats
- First aid kit
- Pocket knife
- Over-the-counter and prescription medications
- Blankets/sleeping bag
- Towing chain/tethers
- Traction materials (Sand, road salt, cat litter, etc)
- Booster cables
- Emergency flares and reflectors
- Fluorescent distress flag and whistle to attract attention
- Cell phone adapter for lighter unit
Emergency officials advise you shouldn't store your kit in the trunk, just in case it is jammed or frozen shut. They also recommend you choose small food items that can be eaten hot or cold.