From polio to pitching: one man's journey - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

From polio to pitching: one man's journey

Mike Jones learned how to walk again after being diagnosed with polio when he was little. (Source: WAFF) Mike Jones learned how to walk again after being diagnosed with polio when he was little. (Source: WAFF)
DECATUR, AL (WAFF) - Mike Jones is a pitcher for the North Alabama Indians Senior Baseball Adult League. He is 69 years young.

"Now at my advanced age I have moved to pitch some, because we just really needed it," said Jones. "But I grew up a shortstop and a middle infielder."

What is not evident is that Jones is a former polio patient.

"In 1948, when I was 3 years old, I was out in Arkansas visiting with my mother's family. I got sick and they told us out there, 'He probably has the flu,' so we hurried back to Alabama. [A local doctor] did a quick examination and said, 'He's got polio."

Jones said it was quite a blow for his family. He didn't walk until the age of 5.

Now considered quite the athlete, it's ironic because at one time doctors didn't believe he would ever walk again. But they didn't know Mike's dad.

"My dad would come home from work every day at dinner and before he would leave, he would lay me down on a table and take my legs and my feet and put them all the way down and all the way back," Jones said.

Through the tears, the paternal instinct worked, and the younger Jones escaped the withering condition.

"One leg is maybe just over a quarter of an inch shorter than the other leg... no muscle difference at all," he said.

"I was a typical polio victim, you know, so it was really a miracle that I came through it. I just slowly began to learn how to walk, just like I had already learned how when I was about a year old."

Jones said he really doesn't remember much about those two years. He remembers the before and after, but not during.

"As soon as I was able to get my legs up and get my legs under me and get going I started playing baseball," he said.

At age 6, he was bitten by another bug - Little League baseball. Decades later, he has no plans to slow down any time soon.

Copyright 2014 WAFF. All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

After Craigslist scam, man can't enter his own home

Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist. As the law stands, because they refuse to leave, Keith Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

More >>

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist while owner Keith Mills was on vacation.. As the law stands, because the renters refuse to leave, Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

More >>

Police: Parents gave newborn drugs to cover up addiction

Sunday, July 23 2017 1:52 AM EDT2017-07-23 05:52:55 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 1:52 AM EDT2017-07-23 05:52:55 GMT
    Colby Wilde, 29, and Lacey Christenson, 26, face four counts each of child endangerment and felony drug charges. (Source: Utah County Sherriff’s Office/KUTV/CNN)Colby Wilde, 29, and Lacey Christenson, 26, face four counts each of child endangerment and felony drug charges. (Source: Utah County Sherriff’s Office/KUTV/CNN)

The baby’s mother used heroin and prescription pain medication during her pregnancy, and the baby was born addicted to drugs, police say.

More >>

More >>

Restaurant's policy limits those with kids to one drink

Sunday, July 23 2017 2:50 PM EDT2017-07-23 18:50:46 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 2:50 PM EDT2017-07-23 18:50:46 GMT

A long-standing rule at Peddlers Bar & Bistro limits anyone dining with children to one alcoholic beverage, in order to hopefully limit the danger children face from drunk drivers.

More >>