Today, the Athens City Schools Superintendent will announce plans to upgrade and improve the district's schools.
(WMC) – Memphian Kenneth Whitson says he's lucky to be alive this Independence Day after his house caught fire early Friday morning.
Whitson said he'd left his house in the 1100 block of Coppock Street near Chelsea Avenue. He was gone only around 10 minutes and he came home to find his house on fire.
"Lost everything I had in the house ... clothes, furniture, everything," Whitson says.
When daylight broke, Kenneth Whitson could see the damage.
He says fireworks have been going off around the house for two days and fears one of them may have landed on his roof, sparking the blaze.
"Down the street, a lot of the houses are old and so when you get to popping fireworks, these flames can come down on the roof and start a fire," adds Whitson.
One neighbor perhaps says it best if you plan to shoot fireworks this Fourth of July weekend.
"If you gonna shoot your fireworks, shoot the fireworks in the proper way, not at somebody's house," says Teresa Ransom.
The Memphis Fire Department is still investigating the exact cause of this fire.
Get the latest from WMC Action News 5 anytime: iPhone | iPad | Android | SMS Alerts | Email Alerts | Facebook | Twitter | Instagram
Copyright 2014 WMC Action News 5. All rights reserved.
1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801
WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations
FCC Public File