'Person of interest' in shooting to be released from jail - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

'Person of interest' in Bourbon St. shooting released from jail

Updated:
Justin Odom, 21 (Source: NOPD) Justin Odom, 21 (Source: NOPD)
HARVEY, LA (WVUE) -

Justin Odom, a person of interest in the Bourbon Street shooting case, was released from jail Thursday after being arrested on outstanding attachments in Jefferson Parish, according to sheriff's spokesman Col. John Fortunato.

Odom, 21, of Marrero, turned himself in to Gretna Police Wednesday afternoon. NOPD homicide detectives interviewed Odom with his attorney present. 

He was booked into the correctional facility on a traffic warrant and a warrant for theft. Fortunato said Odom completed his booking procedures and was released due to jail overcrowding.

The NOPD named Odom as a person of interest on Wednesday. The announcement comes following the release of surveillance video, allegedly depicting of Odom, on Tuesday.

Ten people were shot around 2:45 a.m. in the 700 block of Bourbon Street on Sunday. One of the ten victims was pronounced dead on Wednesday.

Brittany Thomas, 21, died around 2:45 p.m., according to officials. Thomas was from Hammond, Louisiana. She was previously listed in critical condition.

As of Thursday evening, only one victim remains hospitalized. Seven victims have been treated and released, while one refused any treatment.

City and national leaders gathered on Tuesday to discuss the mass shooting on Bourbon Street that has captured international attention, urging anyone with information on the incident to come forward.

"For those of you that are holding on to information under the guise of protecting individuals in your community who have perpetrated violence in our streets under the concept of no snitching or stop snitching, let me tell you something - that is the handiwork of the devil," said U.S. Attorney Kenneth Polite.

A new call for the public to get involved comes following new information about the ten victims. Six victims are from out of state, one being from as far away as Australia, police said Tuesday.

Detectives are requesting for the public's assistance in obtaining any photos or videos taken of the incident or any photos or videos taken from the French Quarter on the night of the shooting to be sent to NOPDTIPS@nola.gov.

Follow FOX 8:     

Copyright 2014 WVUE. All rights reserved.

  • Sign up for emails from FOX 8 Live

    Get news and forecasts from FOX 8 delivered to your inbox by signing up for the lists below.

    * denotes required fields





    Thank you for signing up! You will receive a confirmation email shortly.
Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801
256-533-4848

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations


FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.