Mother mistakenly tries to extinguish fire with gas - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Mother tries to extinguish fire with water from dog bowl, finds daughter filled it with gas

Posted: Updated:
Fire crews responded to a house fire on S. Shelby Street Fire crews responded to a house fire on S. Shelby Street
Maj. Rob Milliner of Louisville Fire and Rescue Maj. Rob Milliner of Louisville Fire and Rescue

LOUISVILLE, KY (WAVE) – A small house fire spread quickly when a woman tried to extinguish it with water from her dog's bowl, not knowing that her daughter had filled the bowl with gasoline.

Investigators say that a 3-year-old girl mistakenly filled the water bowl with gas from a nearby canister.

When the mother discovered a small fire in the rear of their S. Shelby Street home, she quickly grabbed the bowl and threw the gasoline on the fire, Maj. Rob Milliner of Louisville Fire and Rescue said.

Firefighters responded to the fire around 10:30 a.m. Saturday. It took about an hour for crews to put out the fire, which had spread to the neighbor's house. Nobody was hurt at either house.

Investigators are not sure how the fire started.

Copyright 2014 WAVE 3 News. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801
256-533-4848

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations


FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.