DECATUR, AL (WAFF) - Laurie Lincoln-Swaim is a busy, working wife and mom whose time is limited.
"I was at work and just having a normal day and I kept rubbing the inside of my leg as I had morning meetings," she said about one fateful day.
She noticed nothing unusual until lunchtime.
"I ran by the restroom, and that's when I noticed that I had a bite on my inner thigh... I pressed the pause button on the project I was working on and I researched spider bites and things like that to see if I could identify what it might be," said Laurie.
Pictures on the Internet indicated a non-poisonous spider bite, so she went back to work. But when she got home that evening the area was hard.
"As I was changing clothes, it had more than doubled in size and that caught my attention. But even still I thought, 'I'll take a Benadryl. It's not a big deal.'"
Laurie went out of town as the rash spread. Upon her return, she got pressure from her husband and finally visited a walk in emergency care clinic, where it was quickly determined she had a staphylococcus infection.
Laurie was lucky the staph infection wasn't worse. "It definitely was a lesson learned."
That lesson learned involves going to see a doctor, no matter how small that infection is. You don't want it to get worse.