Helen Blocker-Adams suspends campaign for mayor - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Helen Blocker-Adams suspends campaign for mayor

AUGUSTA, GA (WFXG) -

Helen Blocker-Adams announced Thursday that she's suspending her campaign for mayor.

"Effective immediately I am suspending my campaign and my run for mayor," she said at a press conference.

This suspension comes days after past financial issues were made public. Blocker-Adams admitted to owing thousands of dollars after three civil court cases.

"These last few days have been hard and humiliating," Blocker-Adams said.

Her campaign committee says this decision was made entirely by Blocker-Adams.

"We were willing to stand by her," campaign chair Pam Wilkins said. "It was completely her call."

Blocker-Adams says this experience has given her a new focus in her life.

"It has shown me that I have work to do on me and especially my financial challenges," she said.

Now, she just hopes the community and her supporters can forgive her.

"I know I have let many people down, and I am deeply sorry for that. I ask for your forgiveness," she said with tears in her eyes.

Even though she is taking herself out of the mayoral race, Blocker-Adams says she will still continue to work for change here in Augusta.

"My heart and compassion is for Augusta and all its people. And that will continue to be important to me," she said.

Adams' name will still be on the May 20 ballot with the four other candidates next week.

Copyright 2014 WFXG. All rights reserved.

• Trending StoriesTrending StoriesMore>>

Bush's Baked Beans announces voluntary recall

Sunday, July 23 2017 7:14 PM EDT2017-07-23 23:14:18 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 7:14 PM EDT2017-07-23 23:14:18 GMT

Bush Brothers & Co.Saturday announced a voluntary recall of certain 28-ounce cans of three varieties of its baked beans.

More >>

More >>

After Craigslist scam, man can't enter his own home

Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:29 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:29:14 GMT

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist. As the law stands, because they refuse to leave, Keith Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

More >>

The people inside rented the home from a mystery person on Craiglist while owner Keith Mills was on vacation.. As the law stands, because the renters refuse to leave, Mills now has to go to court to prove he’s the rightful owner.

More >>

Princes William, Harry remember their final call with Diana

Sunday, July 23 2017 3:30 AM EDT2017-07-23 07:30:46 GMT
    Sunday, July 23 2017 9:31 PM EDT2017-07-24 01:31:59 GMT

Prince William and Prince Harry are paying tribute to their mother, Princess Diana, as the 20th anniversary of her death in a car crash approaches.

More >>