Today's Most: VA Hospital changes mind, won't fine man $525 doll - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Today's Most: VA Hospital changes mind, won't fine man $525 dollars for refilling his soda

  • Most ReadMost ReadMore>>

  • KOLD INVESTIGATES: Hospital in jeopardy

    KOLD INVESTIGATES: Hospital in jeopardy

    Wednesday, May 23 2018 11:41 PM EDT2018-05-24 03:41:10 GMT
    Chayse Vance was a young lady with an eye for art and a heart of gold, according to her family. She hung herself after a stay at the Sonora Behavioral Health Hospital, which has a shocking number of violations. (Source: Vance Family)Chayse Vance was a young lady with an eye for art and a heart of gold, according to her family. She hung herself after a stay at the Sonora Behavioral Health Hospital, which has a shocking number of violations. (Source: Vance Family)
    Chayse Vance was a young lady with an eye for art and a heart of gold, according to her family. She hung herself after a stay at the Sonora Behavioral Health Hospital, which has a shocking number of violations. (Source: Vance Family)Chayse Vance was a young lady with an eye for art and a heart of gold, according to her family. She hung herself after a stay at the Sonora Behavioral Health Hospital, which has a shocking number of violations. (Source: Vance Family)

    One Tucson hospital stands out in Arizona for its violations. Our investigative team logged and analyzed piles of data from the state department of health services to find out who's to blame and what's being done.

    More >>

    One Tucson hospital stands out in Arizona for its violations. Our investigative team logged and analyzed piles of data from the state department of health services to find out who's to blame and what's being done.

    More >>
  • DCS: Toddler died after taking morphine

    DCS: Toddler died after taking morphine

    Wednesday, May 23 2018 11:00 PM EDT2018-05-24 03:00:48 GMT
    Ariel Horn. (Source: Family)Ariel Horn. (Source: Family)
    Ariel Horn. (Source: Family)Ariel Horn. (Source: Family)

    A Cochise County toddler died May 4 after taking a morphine pill she found on the floor, according to the Arizona Department of Child Safety.

    More >>

    A Cochise County toddler died May 4 after taking a morphine pill she found on the floor, according to the Arizona Department of Child Safety.

    More >>
  • New X-rated Snapchat channel from Cosmo has parents concerned

    New X-rated Snapchat channel from Cosmo has parents concerned

    Thursday, May 24 2018 1:48 PM EDT2018-05-24 17:48:29 GMT
    The new "Cosmo After Dark" channel on Snapchat has some parents concerned. Some critics are calling the content pornographic. (WXIX)The new "Cosmo After Dark" channel on Snapchat has some parents concerned. Some critics are calling the content pornographic. (WXIX)

    The new "Cosmo After Dark" channel on Snapchat has some parents concerned. Some critics are calling the content pornographic.

    More >>

    The new "Cosmo After Dark" channel on Snapchat has some parents concerned. Some critics are calling the content pornographic.

    More >>
TUCSON, AZ (Tucson News Now) -

 

TODAY'S MOST...Encouraging sign a government agency can show reason upon occasion: A man will end up with a warning rather than a $525 fine for illegally refilling his soda at a VA hospital.

Christopher Lewis initially got the $525 fine because he was federally charged with shoplifting since the VA hospital is federal property. Lewis worked at the hospital as a construction worker, and refilled his drink in the hospital lunchroom without paying. The VA says there are signs up that say it costs .89 cents to refill your drink, but Lewis claims he never saw them. 

The VA defended its decision on Wednesday, but then the story started to get national attention. On Thursday, the VA changed its tune, stating "in reviewing the case, the Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center has determined a warning in lieu of a citation is sufficient in this case."

Before the VA changed it's mind, Lewis said "Every time I look at the ticket, it's unbelievable to me. I can't fathom the fact that I made a $0.89 mistake that cost me $525."

Lewis said he also lost his job because of the incident. 

 

Join the Today's Most conversation here.

Copyright 2014. Tucson News Now. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly