An infant was killed Tuesday morning in a mobile home fire just outside Summit. Neighbors said the mother tried to rescue her three children from the burning mobile home but was distraught after not being able to save her baby.
Pike County Coroner Percy Pittman said one year old Tyler D. Lee died of smoke inhalation in a fire at 1058 Rollins Brown Road. The fire started around 8:30 Tuesday morning.
Pike County Sheriff's Department Chief Investigator Bruce Fairburn says the mother, Annie Lee and her boyfriend Rogers Ratcliff, were awakened by a child's screams. They were able to escape with a five year old girl and two year old boy. But when they returned they could not reach Tyler through the bedroom window because of intense flames.
"By the time I got half way out here the lady was saying 'My babies, my babies'. So I come all the way up and I saw her she was jumping up and down and she was screaming and she was like 'My baby's inside, my baby's inside. Somebody help please.' And by that time the fire truck everybody all ran up here," said neighbor Ben Varnado.
"I had just left. My dad was here. They came over here to use the phone and screaming and hollering, so upset trying to get the baby out of there," said Lorraine Johnson who has lived next door to the family for over 10 years.
Investigators said McComb firefighters found Tyler's body. The five and two year olds are being treated for injuries at a Georgia burn center. We are told the mother was also injured.
"It's sad. I mean my heart is heavy," said Rollins Brown Road resident Brandon Garner, a father of six. "That's a child, and I've got children. So I just can't imagine what she's going through."
Summit Volunteer and McComb Fire Departments responded. Investigators said the fire appears to have started in the children's room.
The State Fire Marshal's Office is also investigating.