Grease fire ignites kitchen in Covington home - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Grease fire ignites kitchen in Covington home


COVINGTON, LA (WVUE) - Hot grease set fire to a kitchen in Covington that firefighters contained before major damage could be done.

According to the fire department, one of the house's residents was cooking when they removed the cover from a pan and the grease ignited. In an effort to put out the fire, they then threw a towel over the pan, but the fire continued to spread.

When firefighters arrived, the family had safely evacuated the house. Firefighters put out the blaze with a fire extinguisher, limiting the fire damage to the area around the stove, though the whole house sustained smoke damage.

There were no injuries to the occupants, and the family's pets also escaped unharmed.

"Cooking fires are the leading cause of residential structure fires and injuries," FD12 Chief Darrell Guilott said. "According to the U.S. Fire Administration, more than 164,000 kitchen fires occur each year in the United States. We were able to defeat this one using only a fire extinguisher, and keeping one under your sink or in your pantry can help you quickly protect your safety and your property. Fortunately, these folks called 911 before the fire could spread any further and evacuated their home - exactly what we ask people to do when sudden dangers like this arise. We encourage everyone to use extreme caution in the kitchen, to never leave cooking food unattended. And, of course, don't hesitate to call 911. We're always here to help."

Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.