Man with no pass, no ticket crashes Super Bowl press conference - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

How a conspiracy theorist crashed the Super Bowl press conference

Posted: Updated:
Matthew Mills, left, crashed the Super Bowl postgame press conference and needed only a few seconds to deliver his message. (Source: The Regner Brothers/Vine) Matthew Mills, left, crashed the Super Bowl postgame press conference and needed only a few seconds to deliver his message. (Source: The Regner Brothers/Vine)

(RNN) - A man who calls himself an independent journalist was the only person at the Super Bowl postgame press conference without a pass, but he made the biggest impression.

Matthew Mills jumped onto the podium, grabbed the microphone from MVP Malcolm Smith and shouted his belief in a conspiracy behind the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

"Investigate 9/11; 9/11 was perpetrated by people within our own government," Mills said before he was shoved off stage.

He was charged with trespassing and released hours after police arrested him.

The New York Times identified the man who pushed Mills away as Harvey Greene, a Miami Dolphins official who was running the press conference. It is not unusual in such large sporting events for staff from other teams to help with media activities.

The entire incident only lasted a few seconds, but when it was over Smith grinned and tried to crack the uneasiness with a joke.

"Let's check his press pass," Smith quipped.

Apparently, the Seattle linebacker was the only person who had thought to do so.

Mills explained in a story on how he sneaked into Met Life Stadium with little resistance by hopping on an employee bus in nearby Secaucus, wearing a press badge from another event and simply telling security officials he was running late.

The hype surrounding the game between Denver and Seattle brought a lot of scrutiny on security.

City and federal officials responded by spending millions on extra TSA screeners at area airports, patrolling skies around the stadium with military aircraft, using extra bomb-sniffing dogs and adding to the ire of crowds with painstaking security screenings on Sunday.

Friday before the game, someone sent letters containing a suspicious white powder to several hotels near the stadium and to former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani's office. Authorities later learned the powder was cornstarch, but it briefly heightened tension around the event.

Yet Mills, who had only intended to get close to Met Life Stadium to talk to fans, penetrated a heavily guarded fortress with what he described as minimal effort.

"I didn't think that I'd get that far," Mills told "I just kept getting closer and closer. Once I got past the final gate and into the stadium, I was dumbfounded."

Copyright 2014 Raycom News Network. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.