Discarded ashes spark Madison yard fire - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Discarded ashes spark Madison yard fire

Posted: Updated:
Fire officials said homeowners were lucky the flames didn't spread to any structures. Fire officials said homeowners were lucky the flames didn't spread to any structures.
MADISON, AL (WAFF) -

The yard of a home in Madison is scorched after the grass caught fire Monday afternoon.

The home on Cliftworth Place in Madison caught fire around 1 p.m.

Firefighters said a homeowner threw out old ashes in his yard, which sparked a fire that spread to the yards of other homes.

Russ Kennington with the Madison Fire Department reminds everyone to be extra careful because of dry conditions. "We just want to make sure people are being safe, that they are thinking about the conditions that we're operating under right now. Be aware that even old ashes, because of the insulating factor of the ashes that are over the top of those, can stay pretty warm for an extended period of time," he said.

Kennington said these homeowners were lucky the fire did not spread to any homes.

Remember, when breaking news happens, we break it first online, by email, and by text. If you want to receive our breaking news alerts by text, pull out your phone right now and text NEWS to 44848. Message and data rates may apply. You can text STOP at any time to cancel your subscription, text HELP for more information, or call 877-571-0774 for support.

Copyright 2014 WAFF. All rights reserved. 

Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801
256-533-4848

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations


FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.