First Alert Weather: Mild start but a frigid finish on Monday - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

First Alert Weather: Mild start but a frigid finish on Monday

Posted: Updated:

WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) - Monday will start mild but end on a very cold note behind one of the strongest cold fronts we've seen in years.  Bitterly cold temperatures and even lower wind chills will blanket the area late Monday through early Wednesday.  The Arctic airmass retreats later in the week. 
 
MONDAY: Ahead of the Arctic front highs Monday could approach 60 around midday, a line of light showers may proceed the front.  Then the bottom falls out!  West to northwest winds 12-18 mph, with higher gusts, will bring a blast of very cold air to the area. Temperatures will fall through the 50's during the afternoon. Overnight temperatures will plunge down to around 20 with wind chills in single digits!  If you must be outside bundle up and dress in layers.  Wear hats and gloves.  Bring pets inside. 
 
TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY: Bitterly cold! Tuesday will be the coldest day in at least three years.  Look for a sunny and very cold day with highs likely below freezing, afternoon wind chills will be in the low 20's. Tuesday night the wind dies down and record lows are likely with lows in the mid to upper teens (20 is the record low Wednesday morning at ILM).  Wednesday will be slightly better with sunny skies and highs in the low 40's.  Wednesday night lows modify back into the upper 20's as the Arctic airmass retreats. 
 
THURSDAY THROUGH SUNDAY: A rapid warm up! Clouds will increase through the period along with the temperatures. Thursday will be mostly to partly sunny with highs in the upper 50's.  Friday and Saturday will feature mostly cloudy skies and highs in the 60's.  Shower chances rise from 30% Friday to 40% Saturday.  Lows moderate back into the 40's and 50's.  A potent storm pulls out of the Mississippi valley increasing the chance of showers and thunderstorms on Sunday to 60%.  Warm southerly winds could boost highs to near 70.   
 
Don't forget to download the free WECT First Alert Weather app to stay ahead of the storm.

Copyright 2014 WECT. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801
256-533-4848

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations


FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.