No one home as oven sparks fire at Tyler residence - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

No one home as oven sparks fire at Tyler residence

Posted: Updated:

From the Tyler Fire Department:

The Tyler Fire Department was dispatched to a residential structure fire this afternoon in the 900 block of W. Nutbush St. The initial call was received just after 2:00 p.m., with six units responding to the single alarm incident.

Firefighters arriving on the scene reported light smoke coming from the structure. Entry into the residence was made and firefighters discovered a small fire in the oven. Firefighters quickly extinguished the blaze and ventilated smoke from the structure. There was one occupant inside at the time of the incident. Firefighters report that the fire originated in the kitchen and was caused as a result of cooking. No injuries were reported and the home suffered only minor damage.

The fire department reminds citizens to be alert and use caution when cooking in the home. According to recent statistics from the National Fire Protection Association, cooking is the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Two of every five home fires start in the kitchen, with unattended cooking accounting for 34 percent of these. Citizens are encouraged to practice fire safety and prevention year-round, especially as we enter the holiday season.

For more information on fire prevention and safety, please contact the Tyler Fire Marshal’s Office at (903)535-0005.

Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801
256-533-4848

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations


FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.