State rests in Day 7 of mass murder trial

Moss is on trial for a mass murder from last October.
Moss is on trial for a mass murder from last October.

LINCOLN COUNTY, TN (WAFF) - The state wrapped up its case in the seventh day of the Zakkawanda Moss mass murder trial.

Moss is one of two men accused in the Alabama-Tennessee mass murders.

Wednesday, the jury heard more testimony from experts called to the stand by prosecution, as well as from the medical examiner who performed Warren Crutcher's autopsy.

Dr. Emily Ward testified that Crutcher's body was in the early stages of rigor mortis when found. She said there were leaves and insects near the wounds. Ultimately, Dr. Ward said Crutcher died from three close-range gunshot wounds to the head.

Dr. Laura Boos also took the stand. She is a DNA expert and tested at least 100 of the more than 250 pieces of evidence involved in this case. Prosecution went piece-by-piece over the evidence, asking to clarify whose DNA and/or blood was found on each.

Dr. Boos was on the stand for at least three hours. At the end of her testimony, it was determined that only a car door handle and a beer bottle contained Moss' DNA, and that the door handle results were inconclusive - meaning they cannot confirm or rule out that the DNA is, in fact, Moss'.

The prosecution made it clear to the jury that DNA is not always left, giving an example of an item that was taken from one of the victim's bodies, but did test positive for her DNA.

In all, the prosecution dealt a heavy hand of over 50 witnesses in a matter of seven days in the courtroom, ranging from friends and family members to dozens of experts and law enforcement officials.

Until Wednesday, there had been very little physical evidence, but late in the day, a detective with the Fayetteville Police Department took the stand to testify about cell phone towers and how they can pinpoint where the user is located.

Sergeant Adam Eubanks said he can put Moss' cell phone near the Huntsville Highway house, the home where four of the victims were found, for four straight hours.

Prosecution rested its case shortly before 7:30 p.m., paving the way for the defense to begin its portion of the trial.

Shortly after the jury left the courtroom, the defense threw a curveball and asked the judge to include a lesser charge of accessory-after-the-fact. The judge said he will consider it, but does not see any basis for it.

The other man charged in this case, Henry Burrell, is set to go on trial in February.

Copyright 2013 WAFF. All rights reserved.