Mass murder trial enters week 2 - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Mass murder trial enters week 2

Zakkawanda Moss is on trial after a mass murder that took place last October. Zakkawanda Moss is on trial after a mass murder that took place last October.

Week two of the Zakkawanda Moss murder trial started on Monday.

Moss is one of two men charged with killing six people in Alabama and Tennessee last October.

Monday, a Madison County homicide detective was called by prosecutors to testify. Major Crimes Detective Brent Patterson spent almost two hours on the stand.

Patterson responded to the scene on B.H. Reeves Road in Madison County, where Warren Crutcher's body was found. Patterson testified that someone covered Crutcher's body with leaves in a possible attempt to cover him up.

Patterson also said he saw blood on Crutcher's face and clothes, but not underneath or around him. He also mentioned that Crutcher's shoes were clean, something the prosecution said is inconsistent with the muddy terrain.

The detective testified that through his experience, those things indicate Crutcher likely wasn't shot there, but dragged to the location where he was found, across from the ditch.

A large part of Patterson's testimony centered around his interviews with Moss. He said the first time he spoke to Moss, he claimed not to know Henry Burrell, the other man accused of the murders.

However, the next interview, three days later, was three hours long, and Patterson said Moss' story changed quite a bit. He said Moss explained that he knew Burrell very well and that they were in a drug business together.

He told Patterson he lent Burrell clothes the night of the murders, but refused to hold a gun for him. At one point during the interview, Patterson said he stepped out of the room. Prosecutors asked Patterson what Moss did then.

Patterson replied, "He was in 'defeat mode.' His head was laying on the table, looking at the floor. I failed to say earlier, when our interview started, he was crying. He had a lot to get off his shoulders, so yeah, he was pretty much defeated."

The jury and the courtroom audience got several warnings from the judge Monday about the nature of the day's testimony.

The judge warned there cannot be any emotional outbursts. Several family members and friends left the courtroom at that point.

The jury was excused so they could discuss certain pictures the prosecution wanted to submit as evidence. The defense argued that witnesses could describe what the pictures show and that the jury did not need to see them. 

Ultimately, some pictures were submitted, and others thrown out due to the graphic nature.

Following that, the prosecution called Special Agent Wayne Wesson to the stand. He described two scenes where the victims were found. He said shoestrings and phone cords were used to strangle Jessica Brown. He said Chabreya Campbell was found face-down in a bathtub with three inches of water inside of it.

Defense attorney Hershel Koger objected to some of the details in the agent's testimony, including a description Wesson gave about the state of baby Rico Ragland's body as it was found.

"I observed little Rico... lying on his back with blood streaming away from his head with what appeared to be shoe prints," Wesson described.

Ultimately, the judge ruled that Wesson could talk about anything he observed, and the jury could make up their own minds.

Copyright WAFF 2013. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly