Officials: Fire from electric golf cart destroys Pike Road home - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Officials: Fire from electric golf cart destroys Pike Road home

Posted: Updated:
Cell phone video courtesy of Curtis Smith. Cell phone video courtesy of Curtis Smith.
PIKE ROAD, AL (WSFA) -

Authorities were called to the scene of a fire Thursday morning but were unable to save the home on Black Cherry Trail in Pike Road.

A neighbor, Curtis Smith, recorded video off his cell phone showing flames eating through the roof and rapidly spreading.

Pike Road Volunteer Fire Department Chief Mike Green said two units from Pike Road, plus an additional unit from Montgomery responded to the blaze.

Chief Green says the fire started in an attached garage and is thought to have been started by a malfunctioning electric golf cart that was plugged into a charging station.

Fire crews were on the scene of the blaze by 11:12 a.m., Green said, but by the time they got there the blaze had spread from the garage to the attic. He said the house is a total loss.

One person was inside the home at the time of the fire, but was able to escape, WSFA 12 News has learned.

Copyright 2013 WSFA 12 News.  All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801
256-533-4848

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations


FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.