A racing fan died from carbon monoxide poisoning in his RV at the Talladega Super Speedway Saturday morning. Source: WBRC video
Talladega Sheriff Jimmy Kilgore. Source: WBRC video
TALLADEGA, AL (WBRC) -
Talladega officials have identified the Tennessee couple who suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning in their RV at the Talladega Superspeedway over the weekend.
Craig Franklin Morgan, 46, was found dead inside their motor home. His wife Jami Allison Morgan, 38, is in critical condition at UAB Hospital.
Talladega County Sheriff Jimmy Kilgore told FOX6 the couple came to the event with friends. The last time they spoke was Friday night before heading to bed.
"When they didn't have any contact or see them [Saturday] morning, I think they assumed they were walking the property or something and then when they weren't able to contact them, they went to the motor home and went inside and found them," Sheriff Kilgore explained.
Deputy Coroner Larry Seals said a gas stove was lit, most likely for heat. The exhaust pipe on the generator was broken. Authorities say the couple was exposed to carbon monoxide overnight.
Craig was found dead inside the RV when emergency crews arrived on Saturday afternoon. His wife was unresponsive and air lifted to UAB.
"The race fans are usually close knit and they share their compassion when something like this happens and there's concern and sorrow and things of that nature," Sheriff Kilgore said.
Diedra Hollaway had set up camp in the same South Park RV campground the couple was found.
"It's very sad. It's just horrible for those people," said Hollaway said. "This morning I seen probably 20-plus emergency vehicles come down this road and turn this way. Cops and ambulances, EMTs."
For people like Hollaway, this incident now has her thinking twice about her neighbors.
"It might make me think it I don't see those folks over there fairly early like we have, I might check on them now. I probably wouldn't have thought of that until this incident," Holloway said.