East Texas high school student saves three children, adult from - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

East Texas high school student saves three children, adult from fire

Posted: Updated:
The residence is near Dogan Middle School, which was not affected by the fire. The residence is near Dogan Middle School, which was not affected by the fire.
There were four adults and three small children in the house when the fire started. There were four adults and three small children in the house when the fire started.
Three children set on a curb across from their house after it caught fire Wednesday Three children set on a curb across from their house after it caught fire Wednesday
TYLER, TX (KLTV) -

The Tyler Fire Department responded to a house fire in the 2600 block of Border Avenue in Tyler on Wednesday morning. When crews arrived, the fire was contained to a bedroom.

Officials on scene believe the blaze may have resulted from one of the children playing with a candle in a bedroom, catching a nearby TV on fire.

18-year-old Cadarius Wheeler was in the shower in the home of his grandmother, Ruthie Wheeler. Also at the home were his nephew and two children who are family friends. A roommate was also in the home, Rodney Milstead.

Cedarius reported seeing smoke coming under the door, into the bathroom.

"I saw smoke coming up from under the door, and when I walked out, there was smoke everywhere; it was pitch black. I heard them crying so I told them to get out. After that I got him [Rodney Milstead] out because I think he's an asthmatic, so the smoke probably would have killed him. I told him we had to get out, we had to get out, because there was smoke everywhere," Cadarius explained.

"I was in my bedroom and somebody knocked at my door and told me there was smoke. I said I see, and I came on out of there," Rodney Milstead said.

The children ran across the street to Dogan Middle School with Rodney, where school employees helped them.

Cedarius then grabbed a water hose outside the home, and managed to contain the fire to a bedroom before fire crews arrived.

"Everything was shattering on the ground, so I hosed the windows first so they wouldn't get overheated again. I put the hose through the window and sprayed everything, mainly where the TV was first," Cadarius said.

Cadarius is a senior at John Tyler High School and had stayed home from school to do his laundry. A fire at the house had never crossed his mind.

Now that it was over Cadarius could finally wash the soap out of his hair.

"I just want to thank God that I was here because something way out of hand could have happened," Cadarius concluded.

Tyler Fire Investigator Tony Gumber said Cadarius helped save the house and so much more than that.

The family member who was supposed to be watching the children was not at the home at the time of the fire. Child Protective Services is investigating the incident.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801
256-533-4848

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations


FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.