8 units damaged in Huntsville apartment fire

HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) - Investigators are working to figure out what sparked a fire at the Colonial Grand at Edgewater Apartments.

Emergency crews were called out to the complex just off of Zierdt Road shortly after 12:30 p.m. Friday. At least nine fire trucks and 50-60 firefighters and emergency personnel responded.

Investigators are focusing their attention on the roof of one of the units, where they said the fire originated.

HEMSI confirmed 16 apartments were evacuated. No one was injured and all pets were accounted for. Firefighters had trouble getting the fire under control, battling flames and flare-ups for nearly three hours.

Maintenance workers began cutting away shrubbery as the fire spread to nearby units.

Apartment resident Michelle Elliott said she was sitting on the couch and didn't smell anything when firefighters knocked on her door and said to evacuate because her apartment was on fire. She only took her purse and keys with her, assuming she would be right back. Sadly, that is not the case; Elliott has lost just about everything.

"I have had some of that stuff for 20 years and now it's all gone," said Elliott. "I'm just glad we are all okay. That's the main thing. That stuff can be replaced."

Fire officials have not released a cause at this time. They confirmed eight units were damaged, three significantly, with at least one a total loss.

According to documents filed by the Madison County Tax Assessor, the apartments were built in 1991. The Huntsville Fire Marshal's office said they were last inspected in Sept. 2012, and that the inspection was satisfactory.

Copyright 2013 WAFF. All rights reserved.