Castro has been declared competent to stand trial - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Castro has been declared competent to stand trial

Posted: Updated:
Ariel Castro in court on kidnapping, rape charges Ariel Castro in court on kidnapping, rape charges
CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) -

A ruling has been made on the competency of accused rapist and kidnapper, Ariel Castro.

The judge announced this morning in court, Castro is competent to stand trial.

Last week, a judge ordered a competency evaluation for the man suspected of kidnapping three women and holding them captive for years in Cleveland.

Castro was evaluated by the Court Psychiatric Clinic inside the Justice Center.

Sometimes, inmates get sent out to a psychiatric hospital for evaluations, but that was not done in Castro's case.

Castro is accused of kidnapping Amanda Berry, Gina DeJesus and Michelle Knight and holding them captive for ten years.

During the pre-trial hearing, Castro requested jail visits from his children. 

The judge said he would consider.

Before the hearing wrapped up, Castro requested jail visits specifically from his six-year-old daughter.

The judge denied the request.  "I will not be allowing that.  I think that will be inappropriate," said Judge Michael Russo.

DNA tests confirmed Castro is the father of Amanda Berry's six-year-old daughter.

Evidence is still being gathered in this case.

Castro has been hit with nearly 330 charges.

He's been sitting in jail since May 6, the day the women were rescued from his home on Seymour Avenue in Cleveland.

Castro is jailed on $8 million.

Trial is expected in August.

Copyright 2013 WOIO. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801
256-533-4848

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations


FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.