Family of Tyler homicide victim: 'He didn't deserve what he got' - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Family of Tyler homicide victim: 'He didn't deserve what he got'


One man is dead and another is in critical condition at a Tyler hospital following an early morning shooting in Tyler on Monday.

52-year-old Rodney Walker was found dead in his home this morning on the 300 block of E. First St. in Tyler's Azalea District.

Police said they found Walker after the suspect's mother called them, urging them to check on Walker to see if he was ok.

Investigators believe the suspect fled the scene after the shooting, attempting to take his own life at another location.

Tyler police said details on what led up to the shooting are still hazy.

"We have two people involved in the incident that we really can't talk to at this time due to the fact that one is in the hospital and one is deceased," said Tyler Police Public Information Officer Don Martin.

Neighbors said Rodney Walker had lived in the house for less than a year. Walker's family said he and his partner had been together over 12 years and this wasn't the couple's first brush with violence.

Walker pleaded guilty in July 2012 to striking his partner with a hammer and a cooking pan. He was released on a $100,000 bond and under a restraining order to not see or communicate with his partner.

"Rodney was the kind of person that when it wasn't his fault, he would take the blame anyway," said brother-in-law Jack Allen. "I don't know what brought this all about. It was an explosive relationship for the past few years."

"When you love somebody for 13-14 years, it's really hard to leave that," said Walker's niece, Stacy Allen."

Allen said she believes Walker was defending himself.

"Rodney was not an aggressor, he was not an aggressive type of person," she said.

Walker said if she could talk to the suspect, she has just one question.

"I would want to ask him why, if I could talk to him," she said. "I'd want to ask him why. Why couldn't he walk away."

The suspect in the case remains in a Tyler hospital in critical condition.

Police are not releasing his identity at this time.

Copyright 2013 KLTV. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly