Lighter sparks shed fire - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Lighter sparks shed fire

Posted: Updated:
A lighter sparked a shed fire in Huntsville Thursday. A lighter sparked a shed fire in Huntsville Thursday.
HUNTSVILLE, AL (WAFF) -

Fire officials say a cigarette lighter might have caused a shed fire in Huntsville Thursday.

The blaze occurred at a home on Ward Avenue near Coleman Street.

The homeowner told firefighters that her son was playing with a lighter inside the shed. When she saw the boy run to the house and come out again with a big bowl of water, she knew something was wrong.

Firefighters arrived to find heavy smoke coming from the shed, and quickly put the flames out.

The little boy is okay, but Fire Captain Steve Butler says it could have been a lot worse.

"Parents need to watch their children," Butler said. "They need to make sure they know about cigarette lighters and to stay away from them. Those things could turn into something really dangerous."

Capt. Butler went on to say it was a really close call: a propane tank was in the shed as well.

Copyright 2013 WAFF. All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801
256-533-4848

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations


FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.