Family files $124M lawsuit in carbon monoxide deaths - WAFF-TV: News, Weather and Sports for Huntsville, AL

Family files $124M lawsuit in carbon monoxide deaths

Posted: Updated:

The family of one of five people who died from carbon monoxide poisoning in a rented camper at the Clarksville Speedway in September 2011 is now suing the U.S. Army.

Kathryn Over, 27, died while attending an annual charity event sponsored by the organization Bikers Who Care.

The five had rented an RV from a program called Gear-to-Go at Fort Campbell.

Over's family claims employees there never inspected the carbon monoxide detector in the RV and rented it without batteries that would have assured the detector could function.

In addition to Over, her husband, 27-year-old Jonathan Michael Over; 39-year-old Timothy Bryan Stone; 32-year-old Allison Elizabeth Bagwell-Wyatt; and 38-year-old James Franklin Wall also died while they slept, and the medical examiner's report said all five had more than 45 percent of carbon monoxide saturation levels in their blood.

A generator sat outside the camper where the five people were sleeping, and all the doors and windows were closed at the time of the accident.

The lawsuit seeks $124 million in damages.

Copyright 2013 WSMV (Meredith Corporation). All rights reserved.

Powered by WorldNow

1414 North Memorial Parkway
Huntsville, AL 35801

WAFF Is a Proud Member
of the Raycom Family of Stations

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and WAFF. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.